Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Magazine Reflection

What went well for you during the process of creating this magazine?

I feel that everything went as well as possible and the class as a whole did a great job. What I liked about making a magazine was the fact that the standards of completion and perfection were automatically raised tremendously. For example, the Media Saves the Beach project was put online, where it can still be altered or changed if needed. This magazine can't be changed once its printed, which made me want to make it absolutely perfect. I liked having that high-level of expectation and it worked well for me because it made me want to make everything as perfect as possible.

I feel like I did a good job at helping my classmates in what they needed. I would offer to copy-edit or critique anyone's article, helped my editing group with their layouts one-on-one before I started my own, and I was able to step in on other editor projects in addition to the ones I signed up for.

What challenges did you face as you moved from an early draft or idea to a final product?

When writing my article, I didn't struggle in the beginning stages of getting my ideas organized, but I did struggle in later drafts, trying to perfect it. I had trouble with the structure as my ideas started to separate and I needed to include more. I also included a lot of unnessesary sentences that I never really noticed as I read it, but learned that they weren't needed when others pointed them out to me. I sought critiques from a lot of different people and ended up with at least 10-12 drafts, if not a few more. As far as layouts go, I learned a lot about dotted lines.

What other examples of work—student and professional—stood out as exemplary and served as a good model for your own work?

For writing, I took advice from critiques from anyone that I got them from. For layouts, I looked at a lot of magazines. I had never really taken the time to look at a magazine spread and decide hoe it was made, but it helps alot. I've always liked simple, yet different and interesting magazines or advertisements and now I see why they really work. When we did in-class layout critiques, I got a chance to look at everyones layouts and some that I really liked were Wyatt's, Rodrigo's, and Kaory's.

No comments: